Wednesday, August 5, 2009

What is the difference between getting your wisdom teeth pulled and regular teeth?

Im getting my wisdom teeth pulled Friday. Ive gotten regular molars pulled, and ive gotten root lengthenings and all that.but, is there a BIG difference between getting your regular teeth and wisdom teeth pulled? Im just kind of scared.
Answer:
If your wisdom teeth have erupted then no, there isn't any difference to extracting them. If they haven't erupted, then they'll have to go under the tissue to get them. Not a whole lot of difference as far as healing goes, unless they are impacted in the bone.
extraction is an extraction, but there are more complication with wisdom teeth.1. location...it is more difficult for the dentist
2. closer lcoation to the nerve (lower teeth) or sinus (upper teeth)
3. more variation in wisdom teeth.they have much more curved roots compared to other teeth.
4. sometimes wisdom teeth are impacted.removal of bone is necessary to extract them.
Wisdom teeth can be a little tougher because they are sometimes badly formed. It's also tougher for the dentist to get that far back into your mouth. If possible, you may want to consider being put under sedation for the procedure; when you wake up, it will all be over and done with. You may be a little sore, but your dentist should give you a script for painkillers for a few days to take the edge off. Other than that, follow your after-care instructions, and you'll be fine.Good luck!
I don't think there is. If your wisdom teeth have already come out and erupted all the way, it would be no different as it's just a molar only further back into your mouth. Some numbing will be there, so you wont experince all the pain. Unless you need surgery because your teeth did not grow right, it should be all right. Besides, many people have to go through this. After you get it extracted, it might hurt and get swollen a little since the entire root is pulled out too, you might need to take Tyenol. It most likely WILL bleed if you mess around with it. Let the blood clot, and it will be back to normal soon.I will need one of my wisdom teeth pulled out through surgery since one of them is impacted diagonally. Meaning, it will need to have my gums cut, dig through that tissue, find the tooth, take a plier and pull it out. I'm not looking forward to that, but I'm sure its no better than what you need to get. Probably worse even. o-oAt least I will be sleeping.
Hi, I have just come back from the dentist 1 hour ago. I had 2 molars out and 1 wisdom tooth out. All were pretty much the same. Had a fair few needles to get my mouth very numb, the dentist left me for about 15 minutes for them to work then it only took 5 minutes to pull three teeth out. I was shocked by how quick it was and besides a fair amount of pressure there was no pain. I walked in at 3:00 and was out by 3:25. Don't be too worried it will be over before you know it.
I've had 7 molars pulled and all 4 wisdom teeth. My wisdom teeth had 'erupted' but then crumbled down to the roots so basically, all they pulled out was the root system of each tooth. The only difference I noticed with the wisdom teeth was that I had very slight swelling in my face. Some people swell up a lot. I had no swelling when my other teeth were removed. My jaw was a bit more sore from keeping my mouth open more than normal. They also stitched up my gums after the wisdom teeth were extracted. I did not get stitches when my regular molars were pulled.

No comments:

Post a Comment