Saturday, August 8, 2009

What should I do about my first wisdom tooth?

I have my first wisdom tooth coming in, I'm 21 years old. It started to hurt eairly yesterday. I looked in the mirror with a flash light and I can see a little bit of white, and its all swollen and raised up. The other side (the right side) of my lower jaw is flat, no sign of a tooth coming in, and my tops are both flat. Should I call the dentist?
Answer:
Absolutely!!!
I had to have 3 removed all at the same time, 1 week before I deployed.
If you don't, they can make your teeth crooked, cause excrutiating pain, and they can get infected.
Since it is just poking out, the dentist will have to cut open your gums, and pull it out. The ones on top are supposed to be the easiest to remove. When the dentist takes your exrays, they can tell if the others are showing and if they need to be removed. You will be in a lot of pain for about 1-2 days, but the meds can make up for it, lol.
Goodluck, and whatever you do, do not put any anbesol or anything like that on it, teh numbing stuff just hardens your gums. You want it to be able to push its way through, so the surgery will be easier. You can try rubbing a wet cloth over the area, I did that, and to both my kids when they were teething.
definitely, it is important to get it checked and see if it is coming in at an angle where it would mess up the rest of your teeth.
Ever seen Cast Away?
If you are in persistent pain, yes you need to see the dentist and possibly have it extracted.
You shouldn't need to call the dentist. It's just a normal part of life. Get some oral jel and use that on the gum. One problem with lower wisdom teeth is that sometimes they grow in at an angle pushing the rest of the teeth out of alignment. That would be my only concern. If it appears your tooth is doing that, then get it removed as soon as possible.
No emergency. I would suggest you make an appointment to go in and have them all checked, even those below the surface. They tend to hurt for a bit, then stop, then hurt. It is usually necessary for them to take them out. Even if you can;'t see them they may be pressing against the root of the tooth next to it.
Well, The first thing a Dentist will tell you is if they can pull them or whether they have to be cut out. Some people don't have to have their wisdom teeth extracted, but most cases we do. Second if you have an infection, all he will do is give you some antibotics. Then reschedule.
My suggestion would be to go to the pharmacist and get some ambesol. Try to bare the discomfort until you can go to the doc and seek medical advice.
It sounds like an abyss and yes, you should call a dentist.
Im 10 and i have all 4 wisdom teeth :)

No comments:

Post a Comment