Saturday, August 8, 2009

What will the dentist do to my tooth?

Ok, I'm really scared - I'm 16 and I haven't seen a dentist in about 3 years, I know I've got cavities in my teeth and last week I booked an appointment to see a dentist but the appointment isn't for 6 weeks. Anyway, I started to get toothache in one of my teeth the other day, it's got a pretty bad cavity in it. It's a bottom back tooth and it's got a kind of brownish hole in it going towards the back of the tooth and the two back corners have sort of rotted away I think. I went and bought some clove oil today and it's helped a bit, but then my mum smelled it and asked if I had a toothache, and she's phoned somewhere and got me an emergency appointment with a dentist tomorrow morning.I'm really scared - he's not going to have to pull out my tooth is he? Will I just get a filling in it or will it need to be pulled out? I'm really scared, I've had fillings before but it was when I was really young so I don't remember what happens. Help!
Answer:
You may get away with a filling, if there is infection you may need root canal but if the tooth is severely decayed, it may need to come out. Whatever happens, he will need your consent to do it so you have to make a decision and then you will get local anaesthetic. The needle is fine and very small so you will hardly feel it. After the local goes in, it may sting but after everything will be completely numb and all you will feel is the vibration from the drill. You shouldn't feel any pain at all. If there is infection, you may need antibiotics.Good luck!
nobody can tell you because it depends on how bad the tooth has rotted away...removing the tooth is usually a last resort.silly you not going to the dentist for 3 years when you know you have problems...if i was your mum..you wouldnt have had a choice!!
It may be best to have the tooth removed as its at the back of your mouth, your not gonna miss or it notice its gone, and it won't affect your smile. Also I had a tooth removed recently at back of my move as it was easier than going through root canal treatment. It wasn't sore either having it removed I was surprised as like you I thought it would be painful.
Your lucky to go. Dentist techniques are much better. Pain isn't something to worry about. That tooth will cause you more pain than the dentist. Sounds like it will be a root canal. They just clean it out and put a crown over the broken tooth. No biggy- really. If the tooth is all the way rotten then they may pull it, but you won't have to worry because the numb you up well and usualy when it has to be pulled it is ready to come out. Be brave, and you'll see it wasn't so bad. okay? Good luck.
I had the same problem few years back and i was too scared to go to the dentist, i hadn't been for years coz i had a phobia bout them i had brownish marks on my tooth your tooth has decayed, and so they wll have to do something about it, they may give you an injection so they can sort it out, i had this gel spread on my gum before i had the injection, which is great you don't feel the needle. they just filled mine in.hope all goes well for you! good luck
My opinion is pretty much the same as everyone else.
You do not have to be scared, it won't hurt you.
Please see the dentist now before you regret it when you get older, and just be brave, it will be over in no time.
I was afraid to go to the dentist as well, this is what I had done:
First a cleaning, then a few fillings, then pulled 2 back wisdom teeth, and finally 2 root canals; all these within two months. Now I feel much much better.GOOD LUCK..!!!
whatever happens you cant live wih toothache.just hope it can be treated....
i duno
Sounds like you may need a root filling. Toothache is caused by infection, so before the dentist can treat the tooth he will probably give you a course of antibiotics to take the infection away. The treatment wont hurt. The dentist will give you one or two injections into your gum which then will be completely numb. He uses a very fine needle to drill out the infected root and then fills it so it cannot be infected again. Make sure you go back regularly so it doesn,t happen to another one!
I have to pay for my dental treatment and its no joke! All the bestx
Most dentists absolutely hate to pull teeth unless there is no alternative.
Most likely he will give you a root-canal and a crown if that back tooth is almost gone. Don't worry..you won't feel anything.
If you are very nervous, ask for a sedative first.
Hello I had a similar problem with one of my bottom back teeth. I hated going to the dentist and the tooth had been filled previously and the filling came out and then a piece of the tooth came out, so I had a huge cavity and the corner of the tooth was missing. I did not want to go to the dentist but the school dentist came and checked everyone's teeth and sent a letter home saying I needed treatment. I still avoiding going for a while, eventually my Mum took me to the dentist, I need to have that tooth filled and 4 other teeth. He did in in 2 appointments doing the left side first then the right side. I then did not go to the dentist for another four years and I only went because a filling had fallen out from a different tooth and I went to a dentist who a friend recommended and all he did was fill that tooth, I now go every 6 months for a check up.Good luck at the dentist

No comments:

Post a Comment